Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Butterick 5505 Review

I made this bag at the beginning of the summer and it's well-used and worn at the corners already.




Review:

Pattern Description: 
Back packs – three views. I made view B. This pattern is now out of print but was previously published as Butterick See and Sew 5670 so I'd assume there's a chance it will make another appearance in the future?

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, though there was one error in the drawing for step18 that threw me off a little – the zipper is illustrated backwards, ie: the pull and stop are at the opposite end as compared to all other illustrations.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It's very simple but because of the folding produces an interesting bag. The only thing I didn't like is that it doesn't instruct you to secure the strap at the top D-ring making it difficult to put it on both shoulders. I'm usually a cross-body strap kind-of-girl, but the back pack comes in very handy when biking, grocery shopping and fabric shopping. Any of the views would make a great small purse for traveling. View B has the flap that covers the zip to the small zipped pocket that is a great place to keep a passport. Because of the folding, this bag can't hold more than the essentials without loosing it's shape so keep that in mind if you like to tote around your whole life with you. I just barely fit a tablet in there but that was a stretch.

Fabric Used:
Vinyl for the outer and a matching poly lining for the inside.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I have some old canvas Canadian mint bank bags that I'd like to use to make a version of this. I'd probably leave off the flap and use exposed metal zippers for that version.

Conclusion:
I really like this bag and I've used it so much that I've worn out the finish of the vinyl at the corners already. If I do end up making this again I'd like to reinforce those somehow. I recommend it. It's cute and the design is interesting.

This was the first time I sewed with vinyl and I have some tips for you:
I used tape a lot instead of pins, and where I had to use pins, I tried to keep them in the seam allowance. I was lucky and my vinyl didn't show the pin holes too badly.  Use the finest pins you can get your hands on so at least the holes will be small if you need to make them. I tried using clamps as well but they just got in the way.
I didn't use a special needle, just a new one that was on the narrow side. I also have a teflon presser foot that I think must have helped as well.

Here it is being put to good use last weekend after a trip to the farmer's market. I love that it leaves my hands free.




My next bag is a free lined Duffle bag pattern that I thought was from Thread's magazine, but now I can't find it. There's no instructions but it shouldn't be very difficult to figure out. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. I love my teflon presser foot too!!!
    That is a really cute bag and I love the "action shots". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you wouldn't have said anything, I would have thought this was leather - it really doesn't look like vinyl to me at all. It's a really interesting shape, and I think the version with exposed metal zippers would be pretty BA as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete