Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Candy Cane Jasper


I had to resort to a bathroom selfies today. The days are so short now that I can't take pics outside after work anymore, and this bathroom is the only place in the house with half decent lighting!

https://www.paprikapatterns.com/shop/jasper-sweaterdress/


I've loved the Jasper (Paprika Patterns) since I first laid eyes on it and then finally bought it a year later. And then I got pregnant. Well... technically, I was preggos when I bought it with the idea that I could figure out hot to alter it for maternity when fall rolled around. It's now November and I've finally stopped procrastinating.

I thought on it for what ended up being months and months, even messaging Lisa on Facebook to seek out her advice on how to go about doing a maternity alteration on her pattern (a princess seamed garment with no side seams). There is very little on the internet, believe it or not, on how to make maternity adjustments, but in the end a little common sense goes a long way and it didn't end up being that hard.

I suck at fitting. I'm not very confident in what I'm doing, which is why it took me so long to give this a go. After measuring myself and the pattern, I decided to go with a straight size six (according to my bust measurement) and then I just added along the front princess seams of both the front and side pattern pieces. I also added 2" to the length all around to cover the vertical gains of my tum tum.
I was going to make a broad upper back adjustment like I usually do, but after comparing to anther pattern and checking out the excellently-shaped Jasper sleeve head, I decided to take a chance and just cut.



I bought some red and white striped sweatshirt fleece at a local charity fabric sale that happens in Saskatoon every fall. I think I got at least 2 metres for probably no more than $6. This was going to be a (hopefully) wearable muslin so I didn't bother with the front pocket/welts – plus I didn't know how my alteration was going to affect those pattern pieces so I thought it best to just take things one step at a time.




This was an extremely quick sew. I traced the pattern, cut and sewed it up in one day. I made a small tweak to my alteration which was easy because... well, princess seams are perfect for alterations. Because this was a muslin and I wasn't sewing the pocket/welts, I didn't even look at the directions. I will on my next one, which definitely will include the pockets. I wasn't too worried about stripe matching when sewing – I just wanted to check the fit and I'll only be wearing this for a couple more months anyway... unless I just take in that princess seam again... hmmm...

The end result? I admit it's a little "festive". Red and white stripes automatically call to mind a candy cane.
Though, in my current condition, it's more like those after dinner mints they have at restaurants. 
The most perfect-matchingest button of all time.

My official review:

Pattern Description:
Designed with the cold seasons in mind, the Jasper is the perfect garment for snuggling up on the couch with a hot cup of something. Going out of the house won’t mean changing though, the Jasper is comfortable and edgy. There are multiple ways to personalise your Jasper: make it in one colour, contrasting hem, cuffs and welt strip or even contrasting side panels.

View A features a big and asymmetrical hood with three optional buttons. If you’re not into hoodies you can choose View B, a big collar with an optional epaulet. These neckline options are interchangeable between the two length options: a sweater or a longer version than can be worn as a dress or a tunic.

This design features princess seams that give a closer fit than traditional sweatshirts and create flattering vertical lines. The single welt pockets are set in these side seams and are connected by a tube pocket on the inside. Hem and cuffs are banded.

Pattern Sizing:
1-7 (I sewed a 6 with maternity alteration). I made the sweater version with no hood.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Didn't use them on this one. Will use them for my next attempt with welt pocket. There is also a tutorial on sewing the pockets here.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I was particularly impressed with the drafting on the sleeve/armscythe. I usually have to alter for more width in the upper back, but with the sleeve head shaping I had enough room for the back of my arm and don't have the usual restriction in the front of my arm when reaching forward. Also, these were the easiest sleeves to insert of my life. No easing!! And the fit is perfect. Why don't all patterns have better drafter sleeves? I've only come across this in my vintage 70's patterns.

This whole pattern is supremely drafted in my opinion. All markings were accurate and I liked that all of the seam allowances were 5/8" (what I'm used to) so I didn't have to keep going back to the pattern pieces to double check.

There is nothing to dislike.

Fabric Used:
Poly cotton sweat shirt fleece.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made a maternity alteration by adding width to the front princess seam and 2" length at the bottom (see above).

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will absolutely sew it again and you all should too. I can't wait to try the hooded version.

Conclusion:
I love it. I pretty much live in casual clothes for work and life and this fits in perfectly.

5 comments:

  1. Cute! Even if it is a little dinner-minty. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Erin. Look at all those matching stripes...classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I am looking for maternity pattern hacks and you are right.... there are not many to be found. The schematic you posted is very helpful and I hope to make this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erin, would you mind if I feature your Jasper in this weeks round up on my blog? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete