Friday, January 13, 2012

Pattern Review: Simplicity 3786 – A Pintuck shirt


Simplicity 3786: Tops with front and sleeve variations
















Pattern Sizing:H5 6,8,10,12,14 — I made a 10 view D with a sleeve variation of my own

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? yes, except for my sleeves

Were the instructions easy to follow? yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I got it for the pintucks. I hated the long sleeve variation, but now that I've seen others (especially here, I might make it for myself.)

Fabric Used: light cotton. I think it's a cotton voile

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made the sleeves 3/4 length and added a little binding with a button. This shirt was a fitting experiment for me. I was bound and determined to get the fit of my shoulders and back correct. I made the Slapdash Sewist's broad back adjustment, and also a broad shoulder adjustment, but it turns out I didn't need it, and I cut it back to where it originally was. I didn't use interfacing on the collar and mini-cuffs on the sleeves because of the sheerness of the material. If I was to use an interfacing, any idea what I'd use???

I should also mention that I sewed the tucks using the bobbin thread—a method explained here.

Would you sew it again? Yes, now that I've seen other versions, and I think it would translate easily into maternity wear when/if the time comes. Would you recommend it to others? Yes, It fit very well out of the envelope, but beyond that, the princess seams make fitting easy.

Conclusion: It was one of my first sewing successes in a while, so I have to recommend.

Front:

























Front Pintuck detail:

























Back:

























Sleeve button detail:


2 comments:

  1. Adorable! I have got to try that pin tuck method, it worked so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting ready to make this pattern and I found your review on Sewing Pattern Review.com. Wow your shirt is beautiful! Hope mine turns out as well!

    ReplyDelete